Thursday, November 21, 2013

Homeschooling through High School - Blindspots - pt 2



Keep Calm and LEAN ON JESUS CHRIST Poster
A few weeks ago I began writing about a blog post I had seen awhile back and then it resurfaced from a friend and again I began thinking about this post and how it really needed some common sense solutions, some practical application added in...

Homeschool Blind Spots.  The farther I really read this article, the more in depth the topics become - so I am thinking a part 3 is probably in order =) 



5. Depending on Formulas - As homeschooling has been a part of our lives for quite some time now, we have learned that there is no one size fits all curriculum, no basic do this and that and achieve the greatest kids ever. The author takes a different view - he cites that homeschooling families are depending too much on themselves or 'even biblical formulas' to educate and bring our kids into a relationship with Christ. In the words of my dear old grandma, Hogwash! How dangerous it is that this man says 'everything good comes from God' and "We are completely God's workmanship' and concludes that we must then discard any method or formula to simply say we rely on God for everything. Yes, we do rely on God for everything, but that doesn't mean that I should sit on my hands. 'Do we sin so that grace may abound, certainly not!' God never told us to believe and then sit. He said believe, and OBEY, GO into all the world, MAKE disciples, TEACH your children, LIVE in the world. The New Testament is chock full of ways to bring up disciples in the Lord. Both things to do, and things not to do - I think we might call these- Formulas!

When our local superintendent of schools asked me why I choose to home school, I told him it was because of the 'culture'. He argued that the culture of each school is different, and I agree with that completely - even the culture of each homeschool is different. Maybe you have noticed the verse at the top of this blog - we do teach our children when we rise up and when we lay down, we have a culture of learning -but more than that - we have a culture of leaning. I am not the best speller, but I did spell that correctly - we learn and we lean. We lean on the Lord. We depend on Him for everything, and He has some formulas. Homeschooling families in general tend to be rebels. So following formulas isn't really our thing. But there are some formulas that we should be following, depending on, leaning on, to shape the culture in our school. One formula is Hosea 6:6 'I want you to show love more than I want burnt offerings.' another is Psalms 37:3-4 'Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and feed on his faithfulness. Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.' or Philippians 4:13 'I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!' and John 15:4-5 'Remain in Me and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself, it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.' Jesus, the Word (John 1:1) didn't come to make things more complicated. Jesus came to cut through all religious refuse! He came specifically to GIVE the formula! No one can come to the Father except through a relationship with ME.

As a secondary note, there is no sin in learning from those who have homeschooling experience, asking for their advice, tips and yes - even their formulas. Why would we refuse what we know is good? As I look at the relationships in my own life with other homeschooling mothers, I know that some of these women were ordained meetings, God brought us together to help and support each other! How foolish would it be to refuse that in search of some holier, new, inventive way. Jesus doesn't need a bunch of savants, he needs a bunch of obedient servants! Don't be the man who buries his talons, DO something with what God has given you! This is especially true with teens and young believers - give them something to DO! They are on fire for the Lord. Give them some training - ask them to spend time in God's word and then talk it over together. Send them on a mission trip, partner them with mentors - these aren't just formulas - they are Biblical teaching - and they work!


6. Over-Dependence on Authority and Control - He comes to the end of this and says we must win the hearts of our teenage children in order to influence what they do, not just legislate or depend on rules and authority. This is half of the truth. We have rules in our house. Rules like no texting after 9pm because we need to be respectful of other people. These rules are important - and they do hand in hand with the last point in this article about formulas. Texting might be new to this generation, but treating others with respect hails back to the days of Moses! Part of homeschooling is getting the opportunity to teach your children some life truths that the world doesn't want them to know. Such as:
Rules aren't there to hurt you, bind you, stifle you - they are there to protect you from harm.
Rules aren't arbitrary - there is always a reason, sometimes you don't see it.
Obedience is 'cool' - it is WAY COOL to share intimacy with just your spouse and not a community.
My Job, as your parent, is to help make you a good parent someday, a good husband, a good man. So my words of correction to you aren't there to hurt you - they are there to teach you.
It is better that you learn from the instruction of your parents then to learn that disrespect is unacceptable when you have a family to support and get fired from your job.

As our children have grown up we have not hidden these truths from them - or often given the reason for obedience of 'because I said'. We listen to them when they tell us why they don't want to follow a certain rule, and while it is rare that the rule will be lifted. It isn't rare that the reason for the rule - the life lesson that needs to be learned - will be given, taught, discussed and debated - sometimes for an hour. There is no punishment for asking why a rule must be followed if it is a genuine question. It can be very frustrating to have your teen (my teens) debate with me the merits of some rule I have made. But I have a secret weapon, it is sharper than a two edged sword.... God's word. When they ask the why - I can always, ALWAYS, always point them back to God's word - and His words aren't blind commands either - there is a reason - seek it out, follow His commands to the complete conclusion - God has my very best interest in mind - and the very best interest of my teens in mind. It is all about relationship - my relationship with them, my relationship with the Lord, their relationship with me, their relationship with the Lord. Living in relationship is hope and healing and a forever future.

Happy Homeschooling
Amanda

No comments: