Monday, July 20, 2009

Costly friend

Buy some Rogaine - you need some more hair on your head to be attractive, appealing, or even successful

Watch the latest Adam Sandler movie - in theaters soon

***** Financial - spend you money, spend, spend, spend - use the *****Card and get cash back bonus awards

Would you keep around a friend who talked to you like this? Who constantly promoted some new product, service, and made comments like "only the very best people have this - do you have this?" Of course not! But my stupid TV is blaring these messages all the time. The kid channels are worse - less subtle than the adult version of a once bald man now surrounded by babes. The kids channel comes right out and says you're not cool if you don't have this amazing toy, the coolest shoes, the latest video gaming system.
I wonder how much happier I would be without a "friend" that constantly tells me how unworthy everything I own and everything I spend my money on, and even how I look is. Yet almost everyday I invite this into my living room.

Then I remember something Pastor Noel said about how people measure their happiness - He said he had seen a study or read somewhere that people measure their happiness by their stuff compared to their neighbors and friends stuff, if they had the latest iphone, SUV and gadget from an infomercial- then they would be happy - if not - then they would struggle to make more money, so they could spend it all the faster on the latest trend.

Hebrews 13:5&6
Don’t love money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said,
“I will never fail you. I will never abandon you.”
6 So we can say with confidence,
“The Lord is my helper, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?”

Philippians 4:11-14
11 Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. 12 I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. 13 For I can do everything through Christ,who gives me strength. 14 Even so, you have done well to share with me in my present difficulty.

How much does this friend in my living room cost me? Not the monthly bill that I pay to have the service, although that too could be considered, but the cost measured in being satisfied with what I have? How much temptation do I pay to have pumped into my home?
Just some thoughts for today
Amanda

1 comment:

Smiths Family Blog said...

It is funny you should blog about this today, I was listening to the audio book, Crazy Love on my way to work where Francis Chan spoke on this in chapter 4 or 5. He addresses some real issues going on. I wonder what life would be like without cable? I would probably spend a lot more time on my computer. I would like to think I would use the time to grow closer to God.