Thursday, July 16, 2009

Bulding a Shrine

I like to blog. I like to share things about my family, what is going on in our lives, but this is a shrine.
A shrine is something careful constructed over a long period of time - some would say the building of a shrine is never complete (I can see how a blog would be that way) that those who worship at a shrine are constantly adding to that shrine, leaving offerings. A shrine is a monument to something, it shows devotion of time, money, resources to create an eye catching, worship drawing, all encompassing monument.
So what is this a shrine to? Sometimes I post about quiet times, things I have seen in scripture that spoke to me, and in those moments I was building a shrine to my Creator and Sustainer, adding a little bit here or there as an act of worship or devotion. Other times I have posted things about how God has worked in our lives - singing His praises - I have build a shrine to how Great He is. But then, mixed in with the good Shrine - have been things that we're a shrine to my family, to me, to my opinions. These things have left a bad taste, they have messed up the good shrine and made it a convoluted mess. So today in my quiet time this spoke to me;

Jeremiah 9:23&24
23 This is what the Lord says:
“Don’t let the wise boast in their wisdom,
or the powerful boast in their power,
or the rich boast in their riches.
24 But those who wish to boast
should boast in this alone:
that they truly know me and understand that I am the Lord
who demonstrates unfailing love
and who brings justice and righteousness to the earth,
and that I delight in these things.
So here is to the end of one shrine and the beginning of a new shrine - one that boasts only in the Lord.

No comments: