Wednesday, June 3, 2009

One in Ten for the One

Luke 17:11-19
11 As Jesus continued on toward Jerusalem, he reached the border between Galilee and Samaria. 12 As he entered a village there, ten lepers stood at a distance, 13 crying out, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!”14 He looked at them and said, “Go show yourselves to the priests.” And as they went, they were cleansed of their leprosy.15 One of them, when he saw that he was healed, came back to Jesus, shouting, “Praise God!” 16 He fell to the ground at Jesus’ feet, thanking him for what he had done. This man was a Samaritan.17 Jesus asked, “Didn’t I heal ten men? Where are the other nine? 18 Has no one returned to give glory to God except this foreigner?” 19 And Jesus said to the man, “Stand up and go. Your faith has healed you.”

I usually don't get online before my quiet time, today was an exception and now I think I see why. I was reading on line today about churches, many of them seemed to be struggling to find answers to the same problems.
One man, who said he was a pastor, stated that about 10% of his congregation participates in a ministry at church - are willing to follow the leadership and serve where ever they are needed. The other 90% are there to be served. Then I read this passage.
As you may know I am reading the book of Luke right now - this was just the next thing in line in the book of Luke - I didn't pick it.

Sounds to me like there is nothing new under the sun. Jesus heals 10 men - all 10 are cured of their disease - only 1 comes back to serve. 1 out of 10 - about 10%?
The second thing I saw here was the one who came back was a Samaritan. The Samaritans were the worst of sinners in the eyes of the Jews. The Jewish view was that they were an adulterated blood line, having intermarried with other cultures after their captivity they became a mongrel race who could not claim the blessings of Israel - but who tried to do so anyways. To a Jew, a Samaritan was worse than a Gentile, because they were not only lost, but they were also blasphemous.
When I look around our church I see some Samaritans. I see some people who would have been, and perhaps still are, looked down upon, and you know where I see most of them? Serving the church! I can think of one person in particular that almost immediately after receiving the healing of Christ - salvation - they became active in the church - first through bible study - and then through service.
But my quiet time isn't about other people - it is about me.
I need to be part of the 10% who serve - even if the other 90% never serve - because it isn't about that other 90% - it is about me and Jesus. That man didn't come back to thank Jesus just so he could show up the other 9 guys. He didn't look around to see who else showed up, he didn't compare himself to some standard of service, He just fell down ready to serve. It didn't matter to him what the other 9 had or hadn't done - it only mattered that Christ had healed him and that he could now serve Christ. That is the attitude I need to have.

Then I think
"I wonder what churches would look like if everyone had the attitude that since their service was about them and God - and not anyone else in the world - they would do it to the best of their ability, and even if no one else stood with them." - As I re-read that I realized how easy it is to be sucked into a comparison culture.
As "spiritual" as that statement might sound it is like a filthy rag before Christ! I am reminded that I am not even able to think the right thoughts without His help, as I hear the Holy Spirit say - try again

"I wonder what my church would look like if I served to the best of my ability no matter what anyone else did."

- that's more like it
Amanda

No comments: