Saturday, May 23, 2009

Hello Sunday

Luke 13:22-30
22 Jesus went through the towns and villages, teaching as he went, always pressing on toward Jerusalem. 23 Someone asked him, “Lord, will only a few be saved?”He replied, 24 “Work hard to enter the narrow door to God’s Kingdom, for many will try to enter but will fail. 25 When the master of the house has locked the door, it will be too late. You will stand outside knocking and pleading, ‘Lord, open the door for us!’ But he will reply, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from.’ 26 Then you will say, ‘But we ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.’ 27 And he will reply, ‘I tell you, I don’t know you or where you come from. Get away from me, all you who do evil.’28 “There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth, for you will see Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and all the prophets in the Kingdom of God, but you will be thrown out. 29 And people will come from all over the world—from east and west, north and south—to take their places in the Kingdom of God. 30 And note this: Some who seem least important now will be the greatest then, and some who are the greatest now will be least important then.”

People who think they are saved will be lost. This is so sad - and it won't be until heaven that they finally find out they were lost.

Last Sunday I didn't do a quiet time, I justified that to myself because very few other people do a quiet time on Sundays (But Drason did his, which made me feel even worse)
I have stressed to others the importance of doing a quiet time ever day - especially Sunday, and I need to practice what I preach - this section of scripture is why.

My weeks are pretty limited. Monday through Saturday I have a very limited interaction with other people. I will see my husband and kids, maybe talk to my friends, even on Wednesday evenings I see no more than 15 or 20 people that we go to church with, the most I might have to interact with others might be talking to a school administrator or teacher, or paying a bill over the phone. Living out here is peaceful - but it really limits your interaction. This isn't a bad thing! I needed to learn - or re-learn, how to keep my focus on what is really important to me. But I also need to see my mission field for what it is.

On Sundays I see 500 people. I know maybe - MAYBE - 150 of their names, I know maybe 20 of them well enough to suspect they are telling the truth about being Christians, the rest??? Who knows.
When I go to church I tend to think about me and my family as the first priority - teach my children to understand about God, be fed myself, feel close to my husband because we are learning this stuff together. The other people at the church, unless I recognize them as a first time visitor - (which I probably wouldn't sitting where I sit) I typically greet with a smile and then move on.
I know nothing about the lives of these people, If I spend an hour in Sunday School I feel like I have done my duty for the week in the "connecting with other Christians" department - which by the way, has a lot to do with me having some friends.
If I am really honest - I could not tell you the last time I went to church and spoke to anyone(more than a quick "hi there, welcome to our church) that I didn't already know.
The Lord has convicted me over this this morning.
It started with the need to do my quiet time - but why do that on a Sunday? Because Sunday is the day I am most likely to cross paths with a lost person. I know my husband and children are saved, but out of 500 people - how many will think they are saved, or maybe just not even know, and go to hell because I never said anything to them, I never acted much like a Christian - always putting myself and my family first.
The day with the most opportunity for me to share Jesus - is the day that it never even crosses my mind. The thing is - these people are already at church - how open do you think the school administrator is to hearing about Jesus and how He is working in my life - as apposed to the people at church?
I am certainly not saying that all the people at our church are lost - but according to this passage of scripture, odds are - some are. I need to be living in a way that reflects Christ EVEN at church - and of all the days I need to have talked to God about what the day holds - Sunday is the day that I need it the most.
Amanda

No comments: