Saturday, March 21, 2009

David

I have been doing a study of David lately and it is very good. I would really recommend it. It is called Anointed, Transformed Redeemed and it is by Pricilla Shirer, Beth Moore and Kay Arthur.

I really feel like I need to share this, so while this is a long post, I hope it will bless you.

The story starts in 2 Samuel 5:17-25

17When the Philistines heard that David had been anointed king over Israel, all the Philistines went up to search for David. But David heard of it and went down(S) to the stronghold. 18Now the Philistines had come and spread out in(T) the Valley of Rephaim. 19And David(U) inquired of the LORD, "Shall I go up against the Philistines? Will you give them into my hand?" And the LORD said to David, "Go up, for I will certainly give the Philistines into your hand." 20And David came to Baal-perazim, and David defeated them there. And he said, "The LORD has burst through my enemies before me like a bursting flood."(V) Therefore the name of that place is called Baal-perazim.[b] 21And the Philistines left their idols there, and David and his men carried them away.
22And the Philistines came up yet again(W) and spread out in the Valley of Rephaim. 23(X) And when David inquired of the LORD, he said, "You shall not go up; go around to their rear, and come against them opposite the balsam trees. 24And(Y) when you hear the sound of marching in the tops of the balsam trees, then rouse yourself,(Z) for then the LORD has gone out before you to strike down the army of the Philistines." 25And David did as the LORD commanded him, and struck down the Philistines from Geba(AA) to Gezer.

When the Philistines heard that David had been anointed King they decided to attack - Sound familiar? Ever just get started on the path God has set before you when you come under attack - not once but twice! David handles this just right HE SEEKS GOD IN PRAYER - He's feeling the heat - so he doesn't run out to meet them, he doesn't make a plan, he makes a bee line for the Lord, and followed His plans even when they sound crazy.

Then, fresh off of his victory with the Philistines David and the 30,000 men who are with him start bringing the ark back to Jerusalem, and then something happens,

2Samuel 6:5-9
5And David and all the house of Israel were making merry before the LORD, with(G) songs[c] and lyres and harps and tambourines and castanets and cymbals. 6And when they came to the threshing floor of(H) Nacon, Uzzah(I) put out his hand to the ark of God and took hold of it, for the oxen stumbled. 7And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Uzzah, and(J) God struck him down there because of his error, and he died there beside the ark of God. 8And David was angry because the LORD had burst forth against Uzzah. And that place is called Perez-uzzah,[d] to this day. 9And David was afraid of the LORD that day, and he said, "How can the ark of the LORD come to me?"

Right in the middle of the celebration, Uzzah dies. Has this ever happened to you? Right in the middle of what you think is going to be great, something terrible happens. I had a friend who thought they were being called in by the boss to be given a promotion, instead they were laid off. Stings, doesn't it. We want to cry out WHY GOD, WHY HAVE YOU DONE THIS?

We feel much like David did when this happened - Angry and Afraid.

How easy it is to sit down beside the road and say, I am not going another step until I understand this. When things happen in conflict with our assumptions about God, our ministry, our family, our homes, our jobs, our friends, our lives; it is difficult to pick ourselves up and move through the pain that is there.

David could have sat down beside Uzzah's grave and yelled questions at the sky, but if he had done that he never would have gotten to a place where God could bless him. David had to work through his anger and fear and just trust the Lord, and the Lord's will. That's hard, how do you do that? Remember the great things that God has already done in your life. Look at David - God anointed him at 15, He is 37 now. God kept his promise over a period of 22 years. God delivered David from Saul, from the Philistines, from every danger - even lions and bears when he was a shepard. With a little bit of perspective we can gain power over the strongholds of fear and anger. These are like weeds of the heart, they choke out all the good growth and leave you alone, angry and afraid. David sat around for about three months, and then he saw the good that God was doing in Obed-edom's life, which inspired him to try again.

2 Samuel 6:12-15
12And it was told King David, "The LORD has blessed the household of Obed-edom and all that belongs to him, because of the ark of God."(M) So David went and brought up the ark of God from the house of Obed-edom(N) to the city of David with rejoicing. 13And when(O) those who bore the ark of the LORD had gone six steps,(P) he sacrificed an ox and a fattened animal. 14And David(Q) danced before the LORD with all his might. And David was(R) wearing a linen ephod. 15So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the LORD with shouting and with the sound of the horn.

I have been asked why I do this blog, and why I share things that are deeply personal on here - This is why - because David saw Obed-edom and was inspired, because I have seen other's lives and been inspired.

See where this takes David

2 Samuel 7:8-13
8Now, therefore, thus you shall say to my servant David, 'Thus says the LORD of hosts,(M) I took you from the pasture, from following the sheep, that you should be prince over my people Israel. 9(N) And I have been with you wherever you went and have cut off all your enemies from before you. And I will make for you a great name, like the name of the great ones of the earth. 10And I will appoint a place for my people Israel(O) and will plant them, so that they may dwell in their own place(P) and be disturbed no more.(Q) And violent men shall afflict them no more, as formerly, 11(R) from the time that I appointed judges over my people Israel. And(S) I will give you rest from all your enemies. Moreover, the LORD declares to you that(T) the LORD will make you a house. 12(U) When your days are fulfilled and(V) you lie down with your fathers,(W) I will raise up your offspring after you, who shall come from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. 13(X) He shall build a house for my name, and(Y) I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever.

The Lord blesses not only David, but the future generations of his family, and even us today, through this we see Jesus is foretold.

And I can just picture David - His mouth is hanging open, he is shocked awed - Beth Moore called it "scandalous grace" and I can't think of a better term.

Listen to what David says
2 Samuel 7:18-21
18 Then King David went in and sat before the Lord and prayed,
“Who am I, O Sovereign Lord, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far? 19 And now, Sovereign Lord, in addition to everything else, you speak of giving your servant a lasting dynasty! Do you deal with everyone this way, O Sovereign Lord?[c] 20 “What more can I say to you? You know what your servant is really like, Sovereign Lord. 21 Because of your promise and according to your will, you have done all these great things and have made them known to your servant.

Who am I that God has brought me "this far" and Do you deal with everyone like this, Lord?

God wants to bless you, He wants to bless you more than you can ever even imagine - are you stuck sitting beside a grave? A dream that died? A relationship that died? A plan that failed?
GET UP! Seek God and his blessings will follow - God wants to take all of "this far" God wants to do a mighty work in your life, stop hanging on to the past - run into the arms of the Lord who loves you and into the plans He has for you.

No comments: