Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Time to trim the fat

and no I'm not talking about points.

I have been going to the "discerning the voice of God" bible study ( good study) and this past week the thing that has been coming up a lot is that I really need to trim the fat out of my life.

This may sound silly, but I honestly think there are a lot of wasted opportunities that if I would just trim out some of the junk I don't really need to do I would have more time to focus on the things I should be focusing on.

Our world is designed to keep us busy, distracted, upset, worried and defeated.

Think I'm wrong?

How much time do you spend worried about a bill, about how you look, about what others think instead of just being focused - tuned into God?
One of the things this study talks about is using the time you have to focus on God - to be still and just listen, pray and meditate on God's word. Many times when I am driving, running an errand, folding laundry - or whatever - I am focused on how I am going to solve a problem. I could spend that time to focus on God, to think about what is important to Him.

How much time do you spend as a "human doing" rather than just a human being - you know what I mean - running to baseball practices, stressing over the smallest details?

Why do we do this?

Because we live in a world where everything is "gotta have it now" Fast - speedy - bargain - the very best- a must have society.

And we sell our peace for an extra baseball practice, or for having the perfectly manicured lawn, or the prettiest/priciest outfit.

Then we worry about our kids, our jobs, our spouses, our relationships, our everything - instead of just focusing on the important thing to begin with

Psalm 46

1 God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.

2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,

3 though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.
Selah

4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells.

5 God is within her, she will not fall;
God will help her at break of day.

6 Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
he lifts his voice, the earth melts.

7 The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Selah

8 Come and see the works of the LORD,
the desolations he has brought on the earth.

9 He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth;
he breaks the bow and shatters the spear,
he burns the shields [b] with fire.

10 "Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth."


11 The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Selah

Peace out
Amanda

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are right and wrong at the same time. It is not only to get the distractions out of yuor life, that is a good thing. But to also be content when you are doing the things you have to do. I may not like mowing the lawn, but it gives me a chance to just let my mind go. Start thinking about God and let him take your thoughts where he wants them to go. Or when you are folding laudry, or cooking, you know what you are doing, you don't have to concentrate on it, let your mind wander wherever He directs it. Sometimes you will find that some of those problems you thought you had, you now know how to solve them. And not only does that work out but now you have more peace because you did it God's way not some way you came up with. I really find myself doing this while I am driving. And as you know I am not always perfect at doing this, things still get to me, but that's my fault not His.

sean said...

Tanks a million, I needed that today,
God is Good all the time, all the Time God is Good.