Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Pause the music player first.


How easy it is to get caught up in the things that don't really matter. I showed this video to a friend and they had some questions.
Here they are:
"Why are they making fun of the guy in the suit?"
"What does it mean, 'Christian no more'?"

Since I am sure someone will see this and have these same responses.....
It really has nothing to do with the suit, it is an attractive suit. The problem is the attitude, the "Don't you think Jesus would want you to wear your Sunday best?" No, not really, sometimes I think that is just a convenient excuse for vanity and pride. I don't think Jesus really cares what you wear, just as long as you are covered and in his house.

I'm not sure I want to be associated with all of the people I've seen claiming to be "Christians" lately. Every person(almost) who is running for office, every talk show host, every TV personality, every nut case with a cause is claiming to be "Christian". I think I would rather be known as a "Christ-follower." And I don't think that label will ever come from a catchy bumper sticker- but maybe from the way I live life.

Enough for tonight,
Amanda

5 comments:

Smiths Family Blog said...

The sad fact is that there are some people wont come to church because they dont have "Sunday Best". On the other hand, if Pastor Noel wore jeans and a t-shirt, some people would stop coming.
Sometimes we "Christians" can be so Pharisaical (thanks Mark for the term. Sometimes we become so entangled in keeping the law and dress code that we miss the point all togeather.
Keep your eyes on yourself and your walk with God, thats a hard enough job in itself without being interested in others shortcomings.
It is easier to help someone else remove the speck from their eye rather than trying to remove the plank from your own.

Amanda said...

For those of you who will know the origins of this video and the doctrine behind the "emerging church" Do I buy into the idea that we need to rewrite the Bible to fit a postmodern world - absolutely not! I do think we need to be who we say we are, and not add extra rules to the Bible. One of my kids asked me what "Bible" meant. It actually means "THE BOOK" I'm all for sticking to that.

jc said...

Does God care what we wear to church? No, I don't think so but I get dressed for church out of respect. Do I care what other people wear? No, but most of the time I think people dress down just because they feel like it. We get dressed up for weddings, we get dressed up to go to dinner, we get dressed up for job interviews. Is church less important that any of these? The Lord deserves our best.

Amanda said...

I think I am going to have to politely disagree with you. Perhaps you get dressed up for dinner, weddings and job interviews. There is a large part of our community who does not. Many of them can not afford to go out to dinner every sunday after church, they work blue collar jobs, and when they get married they don't drop a ton of money on the event. Again I will say the problem is not the clothing, if you can afford a 200.00 suit for Sunday, go ahead and wear it. The problem is the attitude. Do we make sure our clothes are "the best", do we exclude and look down on those who don't dress up for church, and are we so concerned with the outward appearance we forget the insides. Jesus taught us to love God and love each other, can you imagine one of the disiples asking Jesus "How should we pray?" and then asking "How should we dress?" I can't.

Amanda said...

Apparently this is a touchy subject, I just checked my email and I have 4 more comments, some are nice, some are not. SO, I won't be adding anymore comments to this blog enrty. In addition, I think I may have offended someone, though I don't know who they are, as their profile is new. I am sorry, please forgive me.