Saturday, February 2, 2008

bless and do not curse

We have been having a horrific time with Macguines' school. It seems like if it isn't one thing it is ten others. Wednesday he came home from school so upset that he didn't want to talk about it, talk about feeling like a failure as a parent. How is it a counselor can't get their own kid to talk?

Anyways, Thursday he is ready to talk and tells me what is going on.

During library time the day before, a young man at his school called him a name, no big deal. Then the childs mother, who is the substitute librarian that day, calls Macguines this same name, in front of the entire class. Everyone laughs, and now call him this name constantly to see him upset.

Like a normal parent, I think to myself "I am going down to that school tomorrow, and I am going to rip someone's head off." Lucky for me (and them), there was no school on Friday as it was a teacher in-service day.

Macguines asks what he should do and every fiber of my being wants to tell him to lay that bully out........ then......
I remember that there was a time when someone really hurt me, and I wanted to yell at them, and chew them out, and tell them how horrible they were. But lucky for me, I had some wise council who told me to "pray for them."

"Pray for them?" I'm sure I sounded just as astonished as Macguines' did when my friend instructed me, "yes, pray for them."
So I did pray for the one who hurt me, grudgingly at first, but as time went on I felt more and more at peace with the whole situation.
And the result? well I don't feel angry anymore everytime I see the person, in fact the have even sort of apologized for their actions.

The point? As hard as it is for me to forgive, and pray for the people at the school, how much harder is it to tell your 2nd grader to do that?

Some things that came to mind:
Romans 12:14-21
"Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.
Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay,"says the Lord. On the contrary:
"If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

and Luke 27-36 and *46-49
"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you.
"If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that. And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' lend to 'sinners,' expecting to be repaid in full. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful."

* "Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say? I will show you what he is like who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice. He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete."
And finally 1Peter 5:7-11
"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.
And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen"

And as much as I thought that Macguines would roll his eyes, or at least grumble, he said "ok, mom" hugged me, and went off to pray."

Cool
Amanda

No comments: