Sunday, October 7, 2007

Gimme an A

A-T-T-I-T-U-D-E

Is it just me, or do people in general just seem really depressed?

I drive around and see people who look angry, sad, bored, once in a while I see someone singing with the radio (oh wait that was me in the rear view mirror) but everywhere I go people just seem down in the dumps.

I think this is really a common occurrence, and having lots of letters after my name hasn't really helped me to understand this.
I can tell you all about the nuero-transmitters in the brain, how dopamine, and serotonin are the major chemical contributors to mood, what natural cures can help(things that produce dopamine, help regulate serotonin, without the use of drugs), MAOI's, SSRI's and a whole lot of other stuff that was developed to help people cope with being unhappy.

OR

I can tell you about Jesus
As a Christian, Jesus is our joy. There is nothing on earth that should get us so down in the dumps that we lose our joy. We are redeemed, captives set free, death row inmates given a full pardon, what do we have to be upset about?

There was a little song we used to sing in VBS when I was a kid that went
"I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart, yea
down in my heart - where?
down in my heart
I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy, down in my heart
down in my heart to stay
and I'm so happy, so very happy
I've got the love of Jesus in my heart
and I'm so happy, so very happy
I've got the love of Jesus in my heart."

This may seem like a silly kids song, Even the bible mentions joy second only to love.
Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness....

Ok, so what about when bad things happen in our lives?
Try James 1:2-4&12" 2Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."
" 12Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him."

Some Christians think joy is something they need to work out between them and God - almost like a contract negotiation - I'll be happy if you.......(fill in the blank) and that their lack of joy only affects them. Wrong!


Psalm 126:2 Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, "The LORD has done great things for them."

On several occations God called us to be a people set apart, called according to his purpose, and when you are joyful others see what the Lord has done for you

When you live defeated - others see that too. Unbelievers run the other way. Why would anyone want to follow someone who has a defeated spirit?

Psalm 28:7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.

David sure doesn't sound defeated... In fact Psalms mentions joy so many times I couldn't count them all with the online counter - which has never happened before- but I counted at least 95 times.

And finally
Colossians 1:11-14 "11being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully 12giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light. 13For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, 14in whom we have redemption,the forgiveness of sins."
What more do you need to be joyful about?
;-)
Amanda

No comments: