Saturday, January 4, 2014

More Joy - Less Fear

More Joy - Less Fear, This is my resolve in the New Year.

There are some things that freak me out.... I will be going along, everything is looking up, and then BAM!  right in the middle of my morning there will be something that distracts, dismays or otherwise discourages me.  The rest of the day I will be struggling to get myself up out of the muck and mire and set my feet back on solid ground. 

The rest of the day, I miss the rest of the day. The 'Rest in the Lord' part of the day.

1Peter 1:6 So be truly glad.  There is a wonderful joy ahead even though you have to endure many trials for a little while.

When was the last time I was truly glad no matter the circumstances?

This was the year that the Lord taught me to name my joy, to number the joy, to count it all joy - and still, I fall, I fumble, I fail when it comes to joy. 

1 Peter 1:13  So think clearly and exercise self control. Look forward to the gracious salvation that will come to you when Jesus Christ is revealed to the world.

Numbering joy is a lesson in self control, it is a lesson in humbling yourself daily, mastering the routine rather than letting circumstances master you.

More than anything else in my life, more than daily responsibilities, more than anything - Fear steals my Joy.

Fear can come in many ways.  It comes in an email notifying me that someone has completed a survey - I want them to complete a survey, but I fear what it will say.  It comes in the form of a newsletter and a glowing review and I think - I wish my children had that same experience, and I fear for them when they don't.  It comes in weather forecasts and news reports, and reposts, and angry posts and warnings and wars and rumors of wars and through it all there is this desire to have joy and have peace....

My natural response to these daily occurrences is to embrace fear, but Christ tells me to count it all joy.  Count the joy.  My natural response to troubles, to things that cause anxiety, should be first to look beyond this - to be truly glad, and then to count the joy.

While I was sitting here typing this two things happened:
1 - I received a physical letter,  an email, and a Facebook update each of which caused me anxiety and general upset.

2 - My husband got home from the store safely and came in to give me a hug, followed by two of my laughing happy sons.  They are currently in the living room watching a movie and talking/laughing together.

I can choose to follow the path that leads me to anxiety, even though some of those things I have no control over, and some I need to address eventually.
OR
I can choose to count it all joy.  Count Joy. and be truly glad.



Blessings,
Amanda


No comments: