Friday, January 23, 2009

Oscar the grouch

Yesterday I had a melt down, full on, bring out the Kleenex, don't try to talk sense to me, meltdown. It happens.
I could make a list that was a mile long of all the complaints I had about everything, yesterday. Today, however; it doesn't seem so bad, I actually feel kind of silly.
Drason does a computerized journal of his quiet times - this is a great idea - I asked him if I could share his entry for today and he agreed, so here it is - Drason's debut posting on the blog:)
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

"1 Peter 4
7The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray. 8Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 9Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. 10Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. 11If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

The end of all things is near. What an understatement.

I wonder as he was writing these words when he thought the end would be.

How often do we grumble. We grumble about our bosses, our spouses, going to practices, going to church, etc...As humans we grumble a lot. Why? Because we are selfish. We need to learn not to grumble. Grumbling is one of those sins that people don't really think about but is pervasive. So what if I grumble about having to go to the store today, I'm not hurting anyone. You are hurting yourself. Grumbling takes away the joy God intends for you. If you are grumbling about going to the store, look at it a different way. You have money to go to the store right? You're not going hungry. Praise God on the good not the bad. You might say then, well I'm not like that, I have little money so I can't see the good in that. Well, it will be easier for you to not sin. Look at all the places in the Bible it talks about the wealthy not getting into heaven. That is one less temptation in your life. Praise God.

Grumbling is one of those very little sins that I talked about a couple of days ago that just multiplies over time to completely defeat you. You don't see it coming because it is so small, but just like a few snowflakes can start an avalanche a little grumbling can overwhelm you. Look at people you see that have a bad outlook on life, for me I will use myself circa one year ago. They are always grumbling, thinking the worst about everyone, never truly happy. Do you think they wanted to be that way? NO! After a time all of the little grumblings added up.

Grumbling is akin to frustration. It causes a little loss of joy a little at a time. Every time you grumble about something it makes you life less enjoyable. So what do I do? I either do what I am grumbling about and find a reason to rejoice in it, see getting my joy back, or don't do it. It would be better not to do it and not grumble about it than to lose the joy God intends for me. What if it is something I have have to do? Then I better try real hard to find the rejoicing part. The good news is the Holy Spirit will help us find it.I have come a long way in my grumblings, but I still have a long way to go."

Drason

No comments: