Sunday, November 23, 2008

Joy

Someone asked me to update my blog, this is actually a sort of recycled post, from last fall, but it seemed appropriate. I have added some things in here and there (Jeff - Does this still count as an update?)


A-T-T-I-T-U-D-E

Is it just me, or do people in general just seem really depressed?

I drive around and see people who look angry, sad, or bored. Everywhere I go people just seem down in the dumps.

I think this is really a common occurrence, and having lots of letters after my name hasn't really helped me to understand this.
I can tell you all about the nuero-transmitters in the brain, how dopamine, and serotonin are the major chemical contributors to mood, what natural cures can help(things that produce dopamine, help regulate serotonin, without the use of drugs), MAOI's, SSRI's and a whole lot of other stuff that was developed to help people cope with being unhappy.

OR

I can tell you about Jesus

Does Jesus have joy? I know, you're saying to yourself "Of, course he does, duh." So what is Jesus' joy?

Hebrews 12 says "For the joy set before him he endured the cross" Some people think this is talking about Heaven. I'm not so sure.

The psalmist writes " The joy of the Lord is my strength" What is the "joy of the Lord"?

As a Christian, Jesus is our joy. There is nothing on earth that should get us so down in the dumps that we lose our joy. We are redeemed, captives set free, death row inmates given a full pardon, what do we have to be upset about?

But what is Jesus' joy? He already had Heaven, all of creation is His. We have the joy of the captive set free, but Jesus was never slave to anything.

What is the joy of the Lord? You are. Every time a lost sheep is found, there is joy in Heaven. They throw a big party, Why? Because the joy of the Lord is that He saved you, you are His, you are forever His, and you and He have conquered death.

That's all well and good, but what about when bad things happen in our lives? Do we just white knuckle it through until we can be happy again?
Try James 1:2-4&12" 2Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."
" 12Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him."

Frankly that isn't always very comforting to me - I want to feel better NOW! Tell you what, let publishers clearing house show up on my doorstep and I will be joyful without all the perseverance. It is easy to get sucked into that kind of thinking.
Some Christians think joy is something they need to work out between them and God - like a contract negotiation - I'll be happy if you.......(fill in the blank). But in the end it is chasing a fantasy that robs us of real joy in a real world with a real savior. Can a person have joy despite their circumstances?

Psalm 126:2 Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, "The LORD has done great things for them."

Psalm 28:7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.

David sure doesn't sound defeated...despite the fact that his life was plagued with bad circumstances, and bad decisions. In fact Psalms mention joy so many times I couldn't count them all with the online counter - which has never happened before- but I counted at least 95 times.

So in the end, Joy is a choice. You may not feel like being joyful, but try to turn that frown upside down and see if you don't feel better. Consider the joy of Jesus, count it all joy, and let your heart trust in Him. You may find that even in the midst of trials you have joy - it may sneak up on you if you're not careful.

Goodnight,
Amanda

No comments: