Monday, September 29, 2008

Spiritual Amnesia

http://maxlucado.com/fearless/message01.html

Do you ever suffer from spiritual amnesia? Sometimes I do. Sometimes I forget how God has loved me and cared for me all my life, I forget to be thankful for the deliverance of the past - and then doubt the deliverance of the future.

Check this out - I forget that God answered the most important prayers I ever prayed -

the ones I prayed since the days my children were born, that they would be healthy - check

How about the ones I prayed that God would show me how to be a better parent, give me the ability to do this, even when I feel like a failure - I think He answers this one every day

Do these seem trivial? Too spiritual?

How about the thousands I prayed for Drason - and every time - no matter what the job, and when other husbands and fathers didn't, he always came home, and usually in one piece.

How about all the times I prayed that God would keep us safe? Didn't He do that? When our house burned down, we were over at His house.

But do I even have to ask for His protection? Is this some kind of guessing game, hope you pray for the right stuff so that God will deliver you when the time comes? Not a chance.

How about one January on my birthday when it was icy and snowy outside and I lost control of my car on route 16 in the middle of traffic, and when the car slammed into the concrete median - somehow I was fine, and no other cars were involved.

Or what about father's day 1997, I was driving too fast on a dirt road and rolled my car over and slammed it into a tree - the state trooper asked me if anyone had been in the car - I think his jaw hit the ground when I told him I had been. ( In my defense I was 17 and stupid)

What about September 1998 - When I met the man I had been praying to meet, and even though I was running away from God's plan for me as fast as I could, He had more mercy than I could have imagined, and still put me where He wanted me.

What about the day when He delivered me from abuse? November 27, 1998 - some dates you just remember - that was the last day anyone ever punched me.

The days that my children came to believe in Christ - now those were big days - I did pray for those, and I still pray for them to know Him better,and to have a relationship with Him.

But you know what, the thing I had never prayed for was the thing I needed the most.

God knew before hand that I needed it, In fact He knew since the beginning of time that I needed it, and I never knew right up until the day that I prayed He would save me that the one thing I needed more than anything else was Him.

If there was one thing I should remember, despite my spiritual amnesia, I should remember that, right? I should remember " I will never leave you or forsake you." or the one my kids remember "For God so loved the world..." or the one a friend told me " you are ever before me"

I may think he is sleeping - but in reality he is providing ballast for the boat - and the fact that he isn't worried, might be an sign that I shouldn't be either.

Do you ever suffer from spiritual amnesia?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.