Sunday, September 21, 2008

Football games

So I meant to blog this last week and I forgot - I think that I can blame that on the power being out (Thanks Randy)

Anyways we had a great time at the Osu party last weekend, with the exception of how OSU played , but they redeeemed themselves this week.
We had lots of friends from church over and a few friends that we would like to have at our church.

Most of you probably know each other, but there were a few people you may not have recognized

Jessica - my friend since high school - the last time I saw her was about a year ago when she got married, even though we have different beliefs we have managed to stay friends - which is a good thing.
If you care about the people you love keep them in your life and keep praying for them - even if you disagree about your faith. If you exclude them from your life you make the selfish choice to keep the good news all to your self so that you will be more comfortable. (stepping down from that soap box)
I think many of you met Mark Barker - his son Ian is on Mason and Marshal's football team and Ian came to Awanas a few times last year - we will have to invite him again. Mark said that he and his wife Jennifer are looking for a church - they have a daughter as well, I think she is about 10 or 11? So pray that Mark and Jennifer will find a church home, they have visited our church at least once.

Football is in full swing here at the Sillin house, Marshal and Mason play for the Jets, Drason is the coach and so far they are undefeated. Macguines plays for the Packers - he plays tackle this year so he is in full pads - they are 1-2. Macguines' coach is a yell at the refs, throw a fit, scream at people kind of coach - I'm not sure how much longer he will be playing, I am sure that I plan to be at his every practice to keep an eye on this guy and what he is teaching my son.

Just to brag on Drason a little bit - he is the coach of Marshal and Mason's football team - we see other coaches every week - they get mad at bad calls they argue with the refs, then the parents of the kids on that team argue with the refs, people get thrown out of the games, it is awful! The kids learn to be disrespectful and to blame their troubles on others. Drason doesn't argue, ever. I can tell when he is mad about a call, when he thinks something is unfair,( I think this is because we have been married almost 10 years) and occasionally he will ask a ref in a respectful way to explain a call, or how he can have his kids do better, but he never yells, or throws a temper tantrum. Several of the parents of the kids on our team have commented on how calm Drason is.
While I would like to think that this is all because Drason is such a great guy - because he is a great guy - I think it might have something to do with how he starts every game. After the team has warmed up, before the coin toss, the kids all "take a knee" and he prays with his team - seeing 14 kindergarten, first and second graders bowing their heads to pray is enough to make you tear up. He doesn't pray to win, but he prays that everyone will be safe, no one will be hurt on either team, and that everyone will do their best and have a good time. The parents of these kids - none of them complain - they come up to him afterwards and thank him for being a good coach - this isn't a Christian league - it is as secular as it comes - but they see something different, and they see the results in their children. I don't write this to say how great Drason is - but to encourage you to have faith and courage. How easy it would be to allow the devil to tell you that "someone might be offended" or " we can't do that here" and keep your faith under wraps - have courage this week to share your faith, even in a very small way, you might be surprised about the impact it has.

good night
Amanda

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It should also be pointed out that I have a great team to work with, parents AND players. I also have 2 assitant coaches who are great and a team mom that makes my job infinitely easier. Amanda makes it sound like the team is all my doing but it's not. Last year proved that. I just got lucky (blessed) this year. Still not sure why God watches out for me the way he does...