Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Happy New...

 "New Year New You"  all the slogans in advertisements to join a gym, or read more books, save more money.... all slogans that say "Improve yourself" and imply that you maybe aren't quite good enough the way that you are... 

I asked a friend what she thought of "New Years Resolutions" and she said she thought that it implied that she knew there was something that needed fixing but that she had just been waiting around not working on it, and I agreed and we talked about our mothers and how their new years resolutions turned out.  It got me thinking about how my own children would one day look at me, and how we are slowly becoming our mothers, and how that really isn't a bad thing at all, but it scares us.  

I thought I would be better at this by now.  That there was some wonderful age where I would have more answers than questions, when the everyday trials would cease and everything would just "work out" and that isn't something a new years resolution, or even 30 years worth of new years resolutions can fix.  It's like we're waiting for that imaginary finish line where someone says "You made it!" 

"......you know what? some nights we want someone to kick the shins of the dark for us, Lord, to punch fear in the face for us, someone to throw down a finish line and say "Look! You Win!"And yeah, You nod, because You get it, because You've got us, and You punch fear in the face with one line, with all Your love: 'Perfect love casts out all fear.'And You kick back the dark with one brilliant turn: 'The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.' And You throw down a finish line for us -- your own bleeding heart -- and say those three words: 'It is Finished' " Ann Voskamp
There isn't a resolution out there that can top all that has already been done for me!
Your perfect love casts out all fear, and you have not given me a spirit of fear, but one of power and love and sound judgement.
You have overcome the darkness and I get to be more than a conqueror through Him who loved me ,
It is Finished - making Jesus the first born among many brethren - and I get to be His little sister.

Though the world may say I need a better resolution - but I have been given better promises and every spiritual blessing. So that when is seems like things should be better by now, I can trust that ALL things are working, just now, together for good and things that seem to be falling apart are really just falling together for His Glory.

And the best resolution isn't made when the 'new year' rolls around and we all wake up feeling a little bit older and like we need to work a little bit harder (because that way lies the yoke of slavery again to the old) but the best resolution is the promise that is made...
Isaiah 43:19-21 Behold, I will do something new, Now it will spring forth; Will you not be aware of it? I will even make a roadway in the wilderness, Rivers in the desert. "The beasts of the field will glorify Me, The jackals and the ostriches, Because I have given waters in the wilderness And rivers in the desert, To give drink to My chosen people. "The people whom I formed for Myself Will declare My praise."
Yes! These words I heard echoing in my spirit last fall as we celebrated His feasts.
 "I am doing something new...." 

May my only resolution be, that His Praise is on my lips, and His Glory is revealed.  Because I am convinced that even now, He is doing something new in me, and may it be so in all of us. 

-Amanda-

No comments: