Monday, August 22, 2016

Brave

"Don't be too brave"

I have to admit that was the mom quote of the day, yesterday.  I watched from my kayak as my sons climbed higher and higher in a great leaning tree, grasped a bungee rope and leaped out 30 feet over the Little Miami River, before plunging into the current.  I was terrified.

I had seen at least 15 other brave souls climb that tree and jump before my own child began to climb.  I had cheered and laughed as they swooped over the water, yet when it was my own child I couldn't help but shout "Don't be too brave" as they climbed higher and higher.  I regretted it almost immediately.  First for the eye-rolling look that says "MOM!!" and second because I think they took that as a personal challenge, let me show you how brave I can be!




I remember being terrified when I first began homeschooling my children.  I was so afraid that I would mess them up, I would fail them, I would fall short in their education.  Sure, I had seen others homeschooling their children and I cheered them on, but when it came to my children, I didn't want to step out on that proverbial limb, to swing without a net, for fear of failing. I thought, over time, that this feeling would go away, that I would feel better about my choices, more confident in my curriculum, more assured.  But as we climb higher and higher in their schooling, as each new stage brings new challenges, new fears of failure.





How do we keep going when the obstacles before us make us tremble?  Be a little bit too brave!  Look at the obstacle before you and take it as a personal challenge, and then climb a little bit higher than you thought you could.

The statement "do not fear" is found 57 times in most modern translations of the Bible and "do not be afraid" is found 46 times!  Some argue that "fear not" and similar phrases of encouragement are present in the bible 365 times.

2 Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be 
afraid.

Joshua 1:9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”

Matthew 6:34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Psalms 27:1 The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid?

A very dear friend once showed me this lovely anagram for fear...

F- false
E - evidence
A - appearing
R - real

and my all time favorite Ann Voskamp quote - "All fear is fraud, and nowhere on earth is beyond the reach of God."

Can I encourage you today to climb a little bit higher? too walk a little farther out onto that limb, to leap without the fear of falling, but whooping and hollering with joy?  Can I encourage you to smile wide and be a little bit too brave?  Because the One who formed the universe has called you, and He is the one who holds you, who catches you, and who calls for you to leap without the fear of falling.

Be a little bit too brave today.
 The one who has called you is faithful, He will do it! (1 Thes. 5:24)


Blessings,
Amanda

No comments: