Sunday, January 4, 2015

Praise God for the little things

How often I forget to be thankful for the everyday blessings that are a part of my life, how often I overlook them, cheapen them with hurried moments or angry words spoken in a moment of rushed anxiety.

You see, sometimes I forget to be a human being. I am really good at being a human doing. I am great at checklists and spotting failure, both mine and yours, and I can rush around all day and accomplish more than most think is humanly possible, but in the process I lose something of myself and I cheat and cheapen my relationships like a robot running on empty. I was never meant to be a human doing, I was created to be a human being.

Psalms 46:10"Be still, and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation. I will be honored throughout the world."

When I'm a human doing, I miss every chance to honor God in the small things, every opportunity to show gratitude, humility and grace. 
My children miss every moment of peace and joy which could be found in the midst of the doing by just being, by just being present in each moment and presently aware of God's goodness to us. When you're a human doing you miss the present, the gift of His presence!

Psalm 16

A psalm of David.

Keep me safe, O God,
    for I have come to you for refuge.
I said to the Lord, “You are my Master!
    Every good thing I have comes from you.”
The godly people in the land
    are my true heroes!
    I take pleasure in them!
Troubles multiply for those who chase after other gods.
    I will not take part in their sacrifices of blood
    or even speak the names of their gods.
Lord, you alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing.
    You guard all that is mine.
The land you have given me is a pleasant land.
    What a wonderful inheritance!
I will bless the Lord who guides me;
    even at night my heart instructs me.
I know the Lord is always with me.
    I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me.
No wonder my heart is glad, and I rejoice.
    My body rests in safety.
10 For you will not leave my soul among the dead
    or allow your holy one to rot in the grave.
11 You will show me the way of life,
    granting me the joy of your presence
    and the pleasures of living with you forever.


No comments: