Sunday, January 29, 2012

If I had a theme....

Have you ever noticed that sometimes your life has a theme? 
This past week my life has had a major theme - patience and frustration. 

Macguines did his science fair project on Determination and Frustration and I realized as I was reading his paper how much he learned about this topic. 
He tested his drama group.  Some kids were really gracious about helping out, they were kind and friendly - a couple of girls were very rude - they even intentionally filled out the survey incorrectly because they wanted to mess up his project - talk about frustration. 
Thursday evening we had Bible study - it is a great study - we are talking about changing thinking to change outcomes.  Hmm - right up my alley.  The main point of the study is that our words and thoughts should be pleasing to God- but to get right words you have to have right thoughts - and right thoughts are harder than they sound.  We let out 45 minutes late and I knew we still had to assemble a project board - frustration.

Winterjam started early, packed out, random stuff going wrong - major frustration

What is the point of all this?  I thought I was done working on patience!!! 

Mac's project was on Low Frustration Tolerance vs. High Frustration Tolerance.  As Christians we should have a very high frustration tolerance because we should know that our Heavenly Father has things under control, but so often we let the little things drive us crazy!!!  Things aren't always going to go my way - I don't have to be in control of the universe for the universe to be working alright =)  Why?  Because God is in control of the universe, and he has what is the very BEST in mind for me. 

We stood at WinterJam for about 2 hours - it was uncomfortable - especially for us old people - but here are the comments I got from the kids:

That was AWESOME!  Did you see that guy escape? it was soooo cool!,  I really liked that speaker.  There was a guy in a red shirt who got saved next to me - we gave him the book of John they were handing out - he was really happy. Best-Day-EVER!

What a difference a little perspective makes!  Here is the best part  -after standing for 2 hours we finally got really Really REALLY awesome FLOOR SEATS!  We were literally close enough to the stage that you could almost have reached out and touched them.  The kids were sooo happy - one of the older teens looked at me and said "Totally worth it!"  and I sunderstood exactly what he meant. 

Sometimes things don't go the way you wanted, or planned, or even would have liked - and then they go way better than you ever thought they would.
 It is when I just sit back and enjoy the ride that God can work all things out to HIS glory =) 

Awesome day yesterday
Amanda

1 comment:

African Soul said...

You were just saying the other night how God always gives you just what you need to hear for that particluar day...remember?? Well, I needed to read this today! My pastor is still dragging his feet with the mission trip organizing, yet I'm "supposed" to be in charge. We have close to 20 people going, most have never been outside the U.S. I keep asking for a meeting to bring the group together as a unit, for information dispersal & idea-sharing, etc, but keep hitting a wall. Don't know what else to do but sit back let things just happen - but it is VERY HARD!!! I want this trip to be a success...not because of me, but FOR the kids we are going to minister to. So all I can do now is pray and wait. Love you, girl!