Monday, May 2, 2011

No more plastics

I am really busy. 

It's true - I try not to be, but sometimes (especially this time of year)  I am SUPER busy.  The last two weeks have been sort of a relief - I got to rest and recouperate and catch up on some things I had been meaning to follow up on. 

One of those things is plastics

Last fall I had to have surgery, that I now believe was caused in part by over exposure to xenoestrogens - something that occurs in our diets without us even realizing it.  The more I have studied this, the more I am convinced.

If you know me, you know I am a scientific kind of girl - show me the FACTS.  You say it is dangerous?  Fine, show me a double blind, peer reviewed study with some teeth and I will listen

Well.... here it is =(
http://lifewithoutplastic.com/en/component/content/article/1-latest-news/141-food-packaging-increases-exposure-to-bpa-and-key-phthalate-human-study.html

Here's another one - it's way worse
http://ehp03.niehs.nih.gov/article/fetchArticle.action?articleURI=info%3Adoi%2F10.1289%2Fehp.1003220

Short story - plastics touching things you ingest = BAD!

So we have spent the last week or so - de-plasticing our food.  It has been really really difficult to do!

Some things I have learned :
Target sells cereal in a cardboard tube/box w/o plastic bags (and the interior cardboard is not the plastic sprayed shiny kind)
Oats come in cardboard as well
All bread comes in plastic - and baking bread is hard, and time consuming - I am thinking of scoping out some local bakerys and seeing if they will just hand me the bread, and not put it in a plastic bag.
All meat comes in plastic and freezer paper (the only stuff I can find) is now plastic coated - HELP!
We are looking for a farmer with a cow at the right age to butcher =) and I am looking for butcher paper.
Many things still come in glass jars!!  Kroger and Giant Eagle both have great selections of this (Aldi has some good stuff too!)
You can get Milk in a glass jug at Ashery Farms =)

I promise we have not jumped off the deep end - we are trying this out for a while to see if we feel better =)  And because we aren't wanting to ingest plastic.
Amanda

No comments: