Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Do the Homeschool Hustle

Do you do the "Homeschool Hustle"? 

You know - that end of the official school year, we've got to figure out curriculum, "we homeschool year round", go to homeschool fairs, meetings and practicums, test, portfolio review, submit paper work - review paper work and then submit it, round up the kids for 4-H - baseball - recitals - end of year projects and make one final push towards the "finish line."

Well let me invite you to stop it. - That's right - I said it!  Get off the crazy train and come on over here for a minute, you can always go back to pulling you hair out if you like.

Do you remember those old tv's?  The ones that were had a tube and a tuner?  Sometimes, usually gradually over several days, they would become staticy.  You wouldn't notice it at first - just a little fuzz once in a while, usually blamed on the weather.  But over the course of several days the picture would just get worse and worse - until it looked like a snowstorm and all you could hear was that annoying white out buzz.  
How did you fix it? Re-adjust your focus.  Tune it back into the signal. 

How do we cure, or prevent, this same white out buzz in our own lives?  Tune back in to the signal. 
Here are some verses for your tuning pleasure

Philippians 4:6-7


Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
 
2 Peter 1:3


His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.
 
Matthew 11:28-30


"Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke fits perfectly, and the burden I give you is light."
 
John 14:27


"I am leaving you with a gift--peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give isn't like the peace the world gives. So don't be troubled or afraid."
 
Maybe it is just me, but when I get stressed out - it is usually because I have stopped relying on the Lord to work things out - and have started trying to work them out for myself.  - So my favorite homeschool verses of all.
 
Deuteronomy 11:18-2118 “So commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these words of mine. Tie them to your hands and wear them on your forehead as reminders. 19 Teach them to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up. 20 Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates, 21 so that as long as the sky remains above the earth, you and your children may flourish in the land the Lord swore to give your ancestors.
 
Happy Homeschooling,
Amanda
 
 
 


 

2 comments:

SamsWLJourney said...

Did you look up old TVs on google because I think they were all phased out before you were born. LOL

Amanda said...

Actually, I grew up with this kind of TV and I still own one. Up until about 2 years ago we even had bunny ears on our TV rather than cable. When the house burned down the adjuster couldn't figure out what they were - now that was funny!