Saturday, August 29, 2009

Matthew

Today was about Matthew, the tax collector.

How was it Jesus just walked by and said come with me and Matthew came? Sometimes people are ready. I wonder how ready someone I meet today might be. I remember one day I shared my faith with a lady at the laundry mat - she was very receptive, she prayed to receive Christ - I had never met her before that day. Another time I was driving down the road and stopped to give a ride to an old client - she prayed too. I was shocked.

Jesus walked down the road and called Matthew. Matthew had a little bit of a problem - he was a tax collector. Slick, slimy, everything we hate about the worst upper class in our society, was embodied in Matthew. Jesus called him and his life changed.

Next is the party at Matthew's house. As a recent convert Matthew should have been doing what? I think at many churches we would say he should be in a Sunday school group, coming to church every week, working in the Nursery - serving us long time Christians. Jesus didn't think so, yes Matthew gave up everything for Jesus, he followed Jesus, he worked beside Jesus - but first he had a big party at his house and invited all of his sinner friends, and Jesus came to the party. I remember when we had some sinner friends over to the house - they dressed in tank tops, cussed and looked for a beer, our Christian friends were not impressed - in fact they were not comfortable and some refused to come back. We made a habit of inviting lost people to our home - I'm not sure how many have come to know Christ but I think they learned that Christians aren't all weirdos who only associate with each other. I think they learned that we love them and we still have our faith, and that our faith defines who we are. I know more than one has questioned us about our faith, what we believe, and have listened intently when we told them.
The Pharisees showed up to the party at Matthew's house - and Jesus is just sitting there eating - he isn't up on the table pounding the Torah, he is fellowshipping - and they begin to berate him. These guys are a club, no one is ever going to come to know Jesus through that club - oh, they are going to learn how to dress, how to walk, how to talk and sound religious, but they are never going to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Matthew - the sleazy tax collector - is well on his way to knowing Jesus. He knows the Jesus that loves people in spite of what they look like, what they have done in their lives, and what political party they affiliate with. Jesus taught more by sitting at the table and being a normal guy, than the pharisees ever taught.

What did people learn? They saw a tax collector living the good life off the backs of others, turn around, abandon everything he had worked so long for - and follow Jesus. That is the life changing testimony of the Holy Spirit.
What did his tax collecting buddies think the day after the party when Matthew told them he was going on the road to learn from Jesus? How did it change their lives? Did any of them decide to follow too? Did any of them say to themselves - "Let's see how long this lasts, let's see who Matt becomes, and then I'll decide" I'd bet money some of them did. Because Matthew followed Jesus he healed the sick, he cared for the poor, he shared the good news, and word got back to his town. Matthew's friends heard about his life, how did the Holy Spirit use that?
I can not refute a scientist who has years of education, or an intellectual who believes this life is all there is, but I can say - here is my life - if you like what you see, maybe you should try it.

No comments: